Cheese Maker Certificate
Cheese Maker Certificate:
The Cheese Maker Certificate program provides instruction in all aspect of cheese making - scientific and technological principles of cheese making, unit operations, cheese technologies from A – Z, safety, quality control, grading and more. The program also offers an ongoing opportunity for any cheesemaker to attend Master Classes that focus on particular cheese varieties or technologies.
The certificate consists of four required core courses, two master classes and an internship. The Introductory to Cheese Making course is optional for those who have experience in cheese making. The Cheese Making Certificate courses and the internship can be completed over two years or up to six years. The internship can be done in the second year.
Courses are currently online and 3 weeks in length, typically requiring 28 hours of study and lecture time.
- Introduction to Cheese Technology (online - April 12 to 30, 2021 Open for Registration)
- Introduction to Dairy Fermentations (online - September 13 to October 1, 2021)
- Cheese Composition and Yield control (online - November 8 to 26, 2021)
- Cheese Safety and Quality Assurance
- Cheese Ripening, Packaging and Grading
- Master Classes, one offered every year in February. Currently planned Master Classes include Ripened Lactic Cheeses and Stretched Cheeses.
- Internship - The work placement is a minimum of six months of hands-on experience in some practical area in the cheese industry. That will frequently be hands-on experience in cheese manufacture, but it could also be grading, inspection of cheese plants, working as a cheese buyer, working as a cheesemonger, or other practical experience as approved by the instructors. At least three courses are required before enrollment as an intern.
Completion of the Certificate:
You can request your parchment through the Open Education Student Portal once you have completed all requirements.
Currently available Course(s):
REGISTER NOW Introduction to Cheese Making Technology, April 12 to 30, 2021
Fee: $1,250.00 in Canadian funds
This introductory course is completed over 28 hours with the following format -
Live remote lectures:
The only fixed lecture times are the live remote lectures by Zoom on Wednesdays from 11am to 1pm EST. Although these lectures will be record and available to view online at a later time, we encourage participants to attend the live remote sessions and participate in asking questions and contribute to discussions.
- Session 1 April 14, 2021 (11:00 am to 1:00 pm EST)
- Session 2 April 21, 2021 (11:00 am to 1:00 pm EST)
- Session 3 April 28, 2021 (11:00 am to 1:00 pm EST)
Participants study the course material at their own pace. The course requires 22 hours of asynchronous learning dedicated to reviewing recorded lectures, videos, reading materials, and completing assignments. The time required is flexible and variable depending on each individual.
Home Cheese Making Lab (optional):
A home cheese making kit and instructions can be sent to participants (some shipping limits may apply).
There are 3 assignments to complete for evaluation.
Contact for Information:
If you have any questions about the Cheese Maker Certificate or courses, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The development of this certificate was supported by the Canadian Dairy Commission.